Sunday, March 16, 2008

.glory days.

Don't we all have moments when we think back to the 'good old days' and reminisce. I do this often, reflecting on old times, old friends and old relationships. I sometimes feel a tug of sadness, because I realize that the world has moved on. The opportunities that I wasted then are never coming back, and some friends are lost forever. You can't take back the things you said or did - so even now that you know you were wrong you have to live with it and deal.

Most of the time reminiscing brings back fond memories and puts a smile on my face. Other times, I remember how I hurt someone and wish that I could go back in time to change it.

There are lots of boys that I dated that I treated badly. I wish I could tell them that I was sorry, and have them know I meant it - even though I am probably flattering myself and they don't even remember. There are a select few that come to mind here - Derek for one, whom I told I was cheating on him (when I wasn't) so I would have a good excuse to break up with him when the truth was I was just bored. There was Steve, who I didn't date - but I did hurt when I lead him on and then dropped immediately when someone else came into view that I perceived as being 'cooler'. Jack was one too, though that is resolved now I still feel guilty that I though dating an older guy with a car was more important than dating someone who genuinely cared about me.

I remember friends that I betrayed, fellow students I harassed - all in the name of fitting in and beign accepted.

It so isn't worth it. And you would think that after 8 years I would forget all about it but I still have twinges of guilt when I remember something like that.

The thing that got me thinking about this tonight, was that I was thinking about an old boyfriend. In all truth, he was my first love and it took me forever to move on after we broke up. I remember the crazy highs I felt being with him, and how it made me happier than anything ever could. I had never experienced anything like that before. But then we moved; it ended, and I fell apart. About 6 months later I saw him again, and had one of those regrettable moments I was talking about. He had a girlfriend, someone that I knew well and considered a friend - but I kissed him anyways. And that was a huge deal. After that I haven't seen him again. I always wonder where he is, what he is doing, is he married/have kids, etc. And I know it doesn't matter but I guess a little part of me won't ever let go of him. Is that even normal? I finally, after years of looking, did find him online with classmates. I sent a hello message, but not much more than that.

I'm not sure that all of this has a point. I feel I've run off on a different tangent now than when I started.

All I know, with all these revisited memories - I really dread Paige going to high school.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's SO normal. Everyone has that "first love" that they remember fondly and think about every once in a while. There's nothing wrong with that. That person pretty much takes a little chunk of your heart that you can never get back no matter how happy and in love you are with your husband. It's just a fact of life.

On another note: Paige is welcome to join Rylie and OJ at the nunnery in Switzerland that we have picked out in lieu of high school...

Unknown said...

It's SO normal. Everyone has that "first love" that they remember fondly and think about every once in a while. There's nothing wrong with that. That person pretty much takes a little chunk of your heart that you can never get back no matter how happy and in love you are with your husband. It's just a fact of life.

On another note: Paige is welcome to join Rylie and OJ at the nunnery in Switzerland that we have picked out in lieu of high school...

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0