I read this on a message board tonight, and it irked me just a little bit. The discussion was about letter and number identification, counting and saying the alphabet. There were some moms on there who's toddlers are saying the full alphabet and counting to 20. I think what bothered me about that statement is that it makes me feel inadequate as a parent since Tobey counts to 10 in jumbled order, and has no real knowledge of the alphabet or letters yet. At least not consistently, and it isn't for lack of trying - both Jack and I count with him and show him letters. We have alphabet flash cards and sing it to him. I don't feel like my son's childhood should have to be judged on whether or not he can read by 4 or count to whatever.
But I guess it is just my own insecurities about my abilities as a parent. I know we are doing a good job and not neglecting these things, he just has a different pace, and that is ok. I still can't help but feel a little sensitive though. Maybe it's the hormones talking..
At any rate, I needed to get that off my chest without saying something in the discussion that might offend someone or seem resentful. So you are free to disregard :)
Friday, January 2, 2009
A child's knowledge is limited by their adults ability to teach
Posted by Kimberly at 8:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
You know I think that is a crock... I think statements like that come from people that often force schooling and teaching on these kids at such young ages. In a few years they will go to school and not have the time they have now. I don't see it necessary at this age to sit down and "teach" my child, however I will utilize moments to reinforce and help to teach.
I think you are a great parent... Look at your beautiful daughter! You are obviously doing something right, so I wouldn't worry!
Oh and Andrew is about the same as Toby when it comes to numbers and letters. And I am not worried about it, we are working more on manners and behavior and things they do NOT teach at schools!
Sorry for the deleted post, I keep trying to be nice but each time I respond I get more eated up and start sounding nasty, lol (my mood doesn't help either).
Girl, I don't think anything was meant by that post but it irked me a bit, too. I, however, do not have the righteous anger of us trying very hard. We identify letters and numbers and such but Nora just isn't interested. My 'laziness' is bigger than my fear that she'll end up behind if she wants to be an alphabet major one day.
1. Are you preggers?
2. Tobey is fine and you're a great mother (from what I know, anwyay!)
3. I feel like I need to hop over to iv just to see who wrote that...
Answer to #1.. yes.. because you asked I feel obligated to tell. I am not 'announcing' it to people IRL yet, just in case. I haven't put anything on the PG either.
O.M.G.
Congrats, honey!
I completely understand your hesitation to announce. P&PT for you and yours!!!
well congratulations!!!! I actually figured that was what your secret was a while back. How exciting! Here's to a healthy 9 months!
That's bullshit. I am a teacher. My "ability to teach" is quite good thankyouverymuch. However, I agree wholeheartedly with Christina. Rylie knows colors and shapes and animals. She counts to 3. She doesn't know any alphabet. Because of my ability to teach? No. Because I am more concerned at this point (SHE IS FREAKING 2 YEARS OLD) that she learn through play in an authentic manner, embedded in the everyday context of life. I don't believe in rote memorization at this age. I don't even believe in flashcards. They do not promote authentic learning.
Who am I kidding? I went and posted on the thread. I couldn't help myself.
I get ignorant statements like that ll the time.
My almost two year old doesn't talk.
A lot of people ask me what's wrong with him, or why I don't try and practice with him and I just don't get it.
Not every child learns and does things as quickly as every other child.
He was crawling by 5 months and walking completely on his own at 9.
I doubt that he has any kind of developmental issues.
He understands everything I say. He knows that when I start counting to 3 that there's a timeout at the end of the countdown if he doesn't start listening..
He's reached every other developmental milestone either early or right "on time".
So it just irks me when other parents who should feel sympathetic, at the least, are dragging down the confidence of other parents the way that some of them do!
Post a Comment